The entrance to the village is characterised by the tower of Opizzone, a square keep completed in the year 1048. At the time, the tower served as the main defensive structure of the village and was inhabited by the lord of Rivalta.
Today, the tower contains the ‘Re di Coppe’, a shop which sells typical products such as local cured meats and various kinds of cheese. The shop also offers a rich collection of local wines, among which is the Gutturnio. This local red wine is the earl’s favourite, and is aged in the medieval cellars of the castle.